AADEP/NCCI Report – Workers Compensation & Drug Costs
“NCCI continues to be the voice of authority on workers compensation and prescription drugs. “
Key findings from the 2011 report include:
- Medical costs per claim average more than $6,000 and soar to nearly $25,000 for lost-time claims
- The indicated prescription share of total medical is 19 percent, slightly higher than the estimate given in the 2010 update
- Oxycontin was the most prescribed workers’ compensation drug in service year 2009. Lidoderm was second.
- Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen dropped from the top workers’ compensation drug in service year 2008 to number three in service year 2009
- Per-claim prescription costs grew by 12 percent in service year 2009
- Recent overall cost increases are driven more by utilization increases than by price increases.
Physician dispensing continues to be a topic of national debate, with the practices increasing in almost every state.
Call us. We Can Do Better.