Nobody uses like Kentucky uses
- Medical costs, as a percent of claims cost are soaring — 68% in Kentucky.
- Utilization is a bigger cost driver than price.
- Big utilization spike due to new therapies, pain management and co-morbidity.
- 7 million people abuse prescription drugs — an 80% increase in 6 years
- Misuse of painkillers represent 75% of the prob/em.
- Most frequently prescribed, hydrocodone, is also most commonly diverted and abused.
- Second most popular, Actiq, is approved only for terminal cancer patients and three
- years ago wasn’t on the list.
- 33% of chronic pain patients are currently taking more medication(s) than prescribed.
- 90% of the time, doctors are unable to detect a patient misusing medications.
William V. Faris, JD