Branded with Brand Names
A recent study published in the online issue of JAMA Internal Medicine (Journal of American Medical Association) examined the issue of physicians prescribing brand-name drugs based upon patient demands. 1,891 physicians in 7 specialties responded to a survey and 4 in 10 indicated they sometimes prescribe brand names based upon patient insistence, even when generics are available. Here’s a profile of who is most likely to give in.
- Older physicians (in practice over 30 years)
- Physicians who allowed drug company representatives to bring lunch to their office staff
- Physicians who meet with drug reps for educational purposes
- Physicians who accepted samples from drug reps
- Physicians who were in small practices
- Internal medicine specialists were more likely to prescribe brand names than general surgeons, anesthesiologists, pediatricians and cardiologists.
Controlling these and other medical costs is a constant challenge. Excessive costs come from doctors, hospitals, drug companies, PBMs, health plan designs and several other facets. One thing to keep in mind – none of these is looking out for your financial interests.
OMCA has nurse case managers and physician advisors who can help you obtain and maintain control of the medical costs associated with your business. We do it every day and we do it well – 185,000 cases over the last 20 years.
Call us. We can do better.