Rules? In a Knife Fight?
Butch Cassidy knew we needed rules. How about some opioid rules?
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention just issued guidelines regarding chronic pain protocols. It is a comprehensive and lengthy analysis. I’m going to give it to you in layman’s language.
When it comes to long-term opioid use:
- It often doesn’t work;
- It will probably harm or kill your patient!
There you go. This has been OMCA’s message for years. The CDC goes on to say if you do decide to prescribe opioids, then please, please remember the following:
- Benefit versus harm evaluations are critical;
- Always use the lowest dose;
- Don’t mix with benzos;
- Combine with alternative therapies;
- Establish goals;
- Hold patients accountable.
The CDC is trying to do better. Better late than never.
Call us. We can do better.