Misconceptions, Mistakes and Malevolence 2.0
Continuing in our series addressing last week’s The New England Journal of Medicine study, we all know the risks of opioids:
The likelihood of these risks are governed by many factors. These factors are well known in the workers’ comp industry and include:
- Daily dosage greater than 60 morphine milligram equivalents;
- Used in combination with benzodiazepines;
- Long-term use greater than 3 months;
- Depression history;
- Previous substance abuse or overdose.
But were you aware of these additional risk factors:
- Age over 65;
- Renal impairment;
- Sleep-disordered breathing;
With no single risk, there is no simple change in prescribing behavior to address and remediate the complex opioid-influenced claim.
Next week…Mitigation Strategies.
Call us. We can do better.