You’re Late! But There’s Work ‘Aplenty!
We frequently shine the light on physicians and providers who are part of the problem and not the solution. These rogue medical professionals are certainly in the minority as most healthcare is delivered by skilled, compassionate and well-intended individuals.
…So when they join the good fight, it’s important to affirm and reinforce their efforts.
I’m linking to an open letter written by Steven J. Stack, MD, President of the American Medical Association (AMA). He is calling on his profession to finally play a lead role in confronting the opioid epidemic.
He lists common steps all physicians should IMMEDIATELY implement to address the opioid problem, including:
- Avoid initiating opioids;
- Limit the amount of opioids;
- Consider non-pharmacologic therapies;
- Register for state drug monitoring programs;
- Monitor risk vs. benefit;
- Assist patients with evidence-based treatments;
- Compassionately reduce exposures.
We agree. Welcome to the fight.
Call us. We can do better.