JFK is Relevant Today
“Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future.”
~ John F. Kennedy
I’m linking to an article published in New York Observer by Ronald Hirsch, MD. He is a former practicing internist and now is active as a consultant and educator.
This article is not a research study; rather it is his editorial opinion, and I do not support all of his conclusions. However, I think you will find this discussion provocative and enlightening.
You will find plenty to be angry about as he lays blame for the opioid epidemic on the following players:
- Well-meaning/innocent bystander physicians;
- Evil “pill mill” doctors;
- Purdue Pharmaceuticals;
- The American Pain Society;
- Veterans Health Administration;
- The Joint Commission;
- Press Ganey (surveyors of patient experience with a mission to reduce suffering);
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
The author calls for an Opioid Master Settlement Agreement (much like the tobacco industry) to pay for opioid treatment and prevention.
Blame enough to go around!
We will continue the fight in our own way with our own clients, one claimant at a time. Enlightening treating physicians one at a time.
Call us. We can do better.