Never Be Your Beast of Burden
I’m not exactly sure what the Rolling Stones were talking about in this 1978 hit. Generally, beasts of burden are domesticated animals (donkey, oxen, etc.) who carry or transport heavy loads.
There is another “burden” we all seem to carry, and it goes by the name of “opioid.” Researchers from the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control have published a study in Medical Care that estimates the “monetized burden” from this beast.
Aggregate Annual Costs for Opioid Overuse/Abuse/Dependence
- Lost Productivity $20 Billion
- Fatality Related $22 Billion
- Criminal Justice $8 Billion
- Health Care Treatment $28 Billion
I’ll toss in a couple more effects:
- Pain, suffering and diminished quality of life — immeasurable;
- Gateway to heroin usage — 80% tried opioids first;
- Daily overdose deaths — 40 per day.
If this beast is one of your burdens…Call us, we can do better.