We Have Met the Enemy, and They are Ours
“We have met the enemy, and they are ours.”
~Navy Commander Oliver Perry
President Trump’s emergency opioid panel just published a list of tentative recommendations to combat this crisis. They include:
- A national media campaign;
- Tighter prescription guidelines;
- More treatment programs;
- Expansion of drug courts to increase diversion to treatment programs;
- Expanding access to naloxone to treat overdoses.
As you might expect, without funding, reactions to the report are mixed:
- “Laudable, but toothless,” according to an attorney representing local governments in New York;
- “Very progressive and very needed move,” according to an economics professor from Indiana University.
I guess federal solutions start with a white paper, then the dollars follow.
I know our clients are doing better when we hold their claimants accountable, educate their providers, and apply the science.
Call us. We can do better.